Wednesday, August 1, 2018

Discrimination and Harassment by George Pambrun

Discrimination and Harassment by George Pambrun

I was attending a Communications Command conference in Trenton, Ont around 1979-80 and it was made up of members from all the Communication Groups across Canada. The meet and greet was great and the Command Chief CWO Tommy O’Neil, Joey Izzard, LC Smith, and many others partied into the wee hours of the morning. The next morning Tommie looked like he never had a drink and the rest of us looked and felt like death warmed over.

Tommy was conducting the opening remarks and an address on the topics of Discrimination and Harassment, so I thought I would just veg. through this, you know how long winded and verbose he could be, so I pushed my chair back so I wouldn’t be noticed. And I could hear him talking on the subject and that we were to be aware of and what courses of action, blah blah blah.

Then he related to an incident for which he was accused of discrimination and that he was harassed. This happened, following a Change of Command parade in CFB Petawawa in the late 60’s. He was the SSM and he went on to describe in detail the preparations for the parade, taking pain staking precautions to ensure everything was perfect. “The troopies were made up of all different, races and ethnic groups, it looked like a UN parade, he said.” The Officers and Commanding officer had taken over the parade and the Brigade Commander, staff and spectators were in the stands. He said he saw movement on the right side of the parade ground and saw two soldiers standing there. It was then he said, “I realized my oversight.” There were no Indians on this parade. The rest of the parade went off without a hitch and he felt very good about the whole affair It wasn’t until after the parade that he was unceremoniously accosted by these two characters and accused of discrimination, in that there were no Indians on his parade and then, he was unceremoniously harassed after the fact. Can you imagine, Tommie being harassed? And he said “further to this, one of those abusers is present here today".

I had started to pay closer attention, after the word Indian and started looking for the guilty bastard. I saw everyone staring at me. He had painted such an over exaggerated word picture of the event that it was hilarious especially coming from someone of his position and rank and storytelling ability, and the fact that I had developed quite a reputation over the years that everyone was laughing, and looking at me. Over the years Tommy found the story humorous and he felt comfortable enough to exploit this incident and turn it into a very funny story and relating it to the topic of Discrimination and Harassment only reverse to the normal situation, him being the victim. He had to have told that story many times in order to perfect it, as he did. He had been looking in my direction all along, unbeknownst to me, the audience followed the direction of his stare, (Tommie’s eyes (glass eye).

Now we all know that Tommy, God rest his soul, was a fine story teller. The story had some merit to it and on occasion, Cliff Pompana or I would play the part of being the abused and neglected Indian, in fun of course, but there were no Indians on parade, so what an opportunity to have some fun. Cliff played it right to the hilt, now I did not know Tommy at the time so I was guilty by association, Little did we know that this incident would come back to haunt one of us. This had taken place 10 years previously.

This incident took place in Jun/July 1968. I had recently been posted to 2 Sigs from 4 Sigs in Germany and the first people I meet are Dennis Stow, Terry Pringle, Tommy Carter, Jerry Fleming, Tom Casey, Fish Millar, Sack McLaren and a fellow Indian from western Canada Cliff Pompana. There were a lot more but their names have slipped my mind. I say this because it would give the reader an idea of some of the characters in the Sqn.

Cliff knew everyone and he had developed quite a reputation in the Sqn and had a great sense of humor. Cliff Pompana was on excused duty and I was not cleared into the Sqn, so we were excused from the parade.

I did not know Tommy other than as “Sir” and that he was the SSM at that time.

Yes I was there, at the after parade party and after a few drinks, I do remember Cliff talking to Tommie and Cliff, goading him on the fact that he did not have any aboriginal people on the parade but it was all done respectfully and with humour.

Over the years I got to know Tommie quite well and we became good friends. He appreciated the fact that I was proud of my heritage and that I could take a joke, and had a good sense of humor. He knew how I would react to the story and I was surprised and proud that he thought enough of me and Cliff to relate the story, though somewhat exaggerated. I had actually forgotten about the incident and I would be remiss to not pass it on. I hope those reading this account, will read it in the context for which it was meant (Humorous).

The last visit I had with Tommy was in Ottawa, he had retired from the Military and was working as a Commissionaire, we had a great chuckle over this incident. Tommy was a great soldier, leader, role model and friend, he was a character, I hope someone that knew him well, writes a BIO on him. I salute you my friend. VVV

No comments:

Post a Comment